In this era, Kenya continues to undergo changes industrially, occupationally, socially, and economically. These changes are creating challenges for students, staff and the entire KTTC community. A rapidly changing lifestyle; violence in homes, divorced parents; teenage suicide; substance abuse; and sexual experimentation are just a few examples of these challenges. These challenges are real, and they are having substantial impact on the personal/social, career, and academic development of students, staff and the entire KTTC community.
The college has developed a comprehensive guidance and counseling program as an integral part of the college activities. The program addresses the needs of all by facilitating students, staff and the entire KTTC community with personal/social assistance as well as helping create positive and safe climates in the institution. At the same time, the program assists students as they face issues and resolve problems by engaging in different activities like attending KTTC support group meetings, workshops, seminars and trainings.
To be a centre of excellence in providing Guidance & Counseling services.
To provide quality guidance and counseling services so as to be able to meet the holistic needs of the KTTC community.
Team work Non-judgmental Non partiality
Professionalism Accountability Integrity
The department provides the following services to KTTC community:
- Guidance services; on Education career and social issues.
- Individual and group counseling; according to the clients issues.
- HIV/AIDS attitude change training; to students, teaching and non-teaching staff.
- Public lectures on topical issues.
- VCT services; open to the entire community.
- Welfare and outreach activities.
- Most students and staff have been trained on HIV/AIDS attitude change training.
- KTTC HIV/AIDS Policy developed and launched.
- Service charter for the department developed.
- VCT Service availed every term.
- Informational and inspiring public lectures have been delivered on relevant topics, such as; drugs and substance abuse, reproductive health, stress management, etc.
- Student and staff requiring guidance and counseling are assisted regularly.
- Outreach done to Kirigiti Rehabilitation Centre.
- Mentoring programs aimed at equipping students with life skills and information on social and emerging issues has started.
All these achievements are due to the support of the administration, Counseling team, HODs, teaching and non-teaching staffs and the students.
As a department we are grateful. May God bless you all.
MRS. CATHERINE MUSUKU
HOD. GUIDANCE AND COUNSELING
- Next >>